Ethiopian Dabo Kolo2012-10-31
- Cuisine: African, Vegetarian
- Course: Components, Snack
- Skill Level: Absolute Beginner, Average Home Cook, Easy Enough, For Kids
- Yield : Bulk
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 60m
- 2 cups organic wheat flour
- 2 tblsps berbere spice mix
- 1 tblsp white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 125ml water
- 40ml unsalted butter/ vegetable oil
In a bowl combine all the dry ingredients, pour the water in gradually till a sticky dough starts forming.
On a clean surface area dusted with flour, turn out the dough onto the surface, knead till a thick dough forms.
add in the butter or oil, knead further, then let it rest for a bit.
Divide the dough into small ball sized pieces and roll out into long fingers, about 1.5 cm thick.
Cut each finger into 1cm thick pieces, the size of popcorn.
Heat a non-stick frying pan, on a medium heat, and drop enough of the little dough balls to cover the surface area of the pan.
Brown them on all sides, stirring with a wooden spoon to avoid burning, repeat till you have done all the dabo kolo, season them by dusting them a bit with the berbere spice mix.
Let them cool, then store in an airtight glass container.
Wonderful snack food, eaten anytime of the day and packed with flavour.